Google Translate

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Saved by the Designer's Lounge

Hello everyone!
Excuse my silly title for this post. I was recently sucked in to a few hours of Saved by the Bell re-runs and couldn't get this title out of my head. Don't worry, my lack of creativity for naming this post properly does not mean that this post will go down in a hot mess ball of flames.
It has been a while since I posted anything really wedding related on my blog. However, I knew as soon as I met Teresa Romero at The Designers Lounge I had to introduce my BB readers to her.
It all started when the Señor and I took our cars to our trusty mechanics at Rio Grande Automotive. I had recently spent the weekend looking at wedding dresses at local stores and was sort of disappointed with what I found myself settling for. It is sort of funny how some women have known the design of their dress since childhood. Not me, if anything I've changed the design of my dress in my head several times as I got older. In fact, I'm pretty sure my 30 year old self would puke at the site of my 23 year old image of a wedding dress.  That being said, Brianna at Rio Grande Automotive was so sweet to recommend Teresa as someone who could design my wedding dress.

 Wow.
Teresa and her mother Patty run The Designer's Lounge, which is a fashion design and sewing studio located here in Albuquerque, NM. At The Designer's Lounge you can take sewing classes, workshops and even private lessons in order to make your design dreams a reality. It is located in a great space with everything you need in order to get your creative juices flowing. Upon finding out about the great things The Designer's Lounge provides. The domestically disabled side of myself took a big sigh of relief. I've been trying to find out how I could learn how to sew without having to sneak myself into a high school home economics class.
Teresa Romero

My first meeting with Teresa was an exciting one. Upon walking into The Designer's Lounge  I heard the great sounds of Billie Holiday in the background and the layout of her shop instantly flashed me back to the vacation I took to Paris last year.
Teresa and I had discussed design through email a little bit and she seemed to get what I was getting at as far as the design I wanted. I feel that I sometimes have a hard time communicating what I want when it comes to our wedding, but she had no problem shifting through my awkward mumbling.  She had me explain what our wedding was going to look like to get some ideas. I told her that our wedding was not going to be limited to two colors, and would be very colorful. I described the homes in Mexico City and the vibrant style of Frida Kahlo. We are getting married at a historic Hacienda and we would really be highlighting our New Mexican/Mexican culture.  I was more than thrilled when I saw the excitement on her face. She told me she was going to draw up some sketches for me and we would meet in a couple of weeks.
frida 
Frida Kahlo--La Mission--San Francisco, CA

After biting my nails with anticipation to see the sketches. The time finally came to meet with Teresa. She showed me six sketches that she had drawn up and I was literally speechless.  I think my face was actually sore from smiling so hard.  She was able to not only come up with the most amazing sketches, but some of the most brilliant designs I have ever seen. She really understood what I was going for, and I felt like I was going to get the wedding dress that would make me feel beautiful on my wedding day.  We were able to come up with a design from her sketches and create my dream dress.  I was able to take copies of the sketches home to show the women in my family and my bridesmaids and they were beyond thrilled for me. I couldn't be happier with the decision to go with my heart and bypass settling for a dress, as well as the decision to go with Teresa and support local talent. I will be blogging updates on the construction of my dress as it comes along. Here is some photos of a few of the sketches.
Photos from the Design Diary
I absolutely loved how she gave the sketches a Frida like hair-do.

Cheers everyone!
Please check out The Designer's Lounge blog, website, and Facebook pages. 
If you're in the Albuquerque area, please check out the website calendar and see what The Designer's Lounge has to offer. You will not be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Seems like you got lucky to find her. I actually don't look forward to dress shopping. I'm so indecisive.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...